Thursday 25 April 2013

Rough Cut Contents Page

My Rough cut contents page:


In my contents page I decided to keep the colour scheme and fonts the same just like my style models NME and Q do. This is effective as the magazine has a sense of unity about it and can be related to each other. The navy title was used for the dominant Contents headline at the top of the page. I used a similar photo to the front cover of the artist with her lipstick as the focus and in white and red to match some of the font colours. I also imposed her head and hair over the band of colour used to identify the features part of my page. I used the band of colour further down the page to break up the text and to make it not look too informative as requested by my target audience when doing my research. I decided to take more photos that feature on the page to create the picture layout as it was also preferred by my target audience whilst carrying out my questionnaire. I took the time to use an unusual instrument choice of a saxophone and captured an interesting photo of a young girl playing it. This was a mid-shot and differs from the medium close up I used for the photo of my main artist. I placed this photo and a close up of a student from my media class on the page in a stacked style to make the page look busier whilst not look too busy. There is lots more text on the page so to highlight the main features and artist names I decided to feature a drop shadow underneath them. To do this I clicked on effects, then drop shadow and chose the appropriate angle for this. The impact of this on the page allows the main bits of text to stand out and look more dominant. 



Peer Review
In my peer review video some of the comments included that they liked the bold red as it was conventional to my style model NME and stands out clear from the rest of the darker text. It also matches the lipstick on the main contents page image chosen from my photoshoot with Jenny for Scarlett Hudson. They enjoyed the picture of cara with the saxaphone as it suggests a different musical influence in the magazine and is an odd composition attracting the reader to have a look at the page. They also enjoyed the features and regulars banners spanning across the page as it breaks the page up from the information and adds a bit of colour. The thing they suggests that needs the most improving was the fonts and the shadows on the headlines. These do not work well as it is uncoventional to the titles used in my style models. I will take this into account and remove the drop shadows and change the font colours and styles. 



Teacher Review
In my teachers comments the main thing that was pointed out to be improved was the backgrounds of the images I had captured. The fact that they are all in the same environment does not show much variety and so one of the photos needs to be replaced with a different subject matter. Another point they made was that the captions had to be added to the photos in order for the audience to see what the photo is signifying. Along with this I will change the fonts and font colours according to the new ones I have chosen for my new front cover as it is conventional for the front cover and contents page to match in style. The layout was praised as it looks clean and not too informative which is what my target audience asked for - a block picture layout. The teachers also suggested putting a top banner on the page above the contents with highlights such as the magazine name and the date to make the page look a little more professional and adapt to the unity from the front page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment