Monday 22 April 2013

Rough cut Front cover

This is my rough cut for the front cover:

In my rough cut I used chose to use a big title covered with the imposed picture of my model Jenny Shaw on top of the page. I then used a diagonal line of 'Scarlett Hudson' to appear as if the artist has written the text herself in the lipstick. I added a kiss underneath the headline to make it seem more interactive. I made my barcode myself on Photoshop and inserted it into the page. I decided to make a banner on the bottom of the page saying 'Free iTunes download in this weeks massive 50 page special' I chose to write the massive in a bigger font to add a little extra to the banner. All the font matches each other and my final decision to type the title in a bold navy colour to give a sense of British association. The red matches the blue then I added touches of white across the page to signify the British flag. 






Peer Review
In my peer review the suggestions made will be taken into account and will go towards developing the front page. Some suggestions included changing the colour scheme as the red works well however the navy is too formal for my target audience of 15-25 year olds indie pop. Another suggestion made was made to add more plugs to the page then change the title font as it was too formal for the conventions of my style model magazines. They liked the top banner saying 'The home of new music and entertainment' as it is effective and draws your eyes closer to the title. Another imporvement they would like to point out is to crop the image closer as you can see some of the evidence over the title, however they like the picture as it is clear and interesting. They also liked the fact the the mise en scene matches the layout and the red is very typical for the magazine and said that I have interpreted it in my own way. I feel that I may need to rethink the title and the position of the title and also my fonts and colours. 

Teacher Review
When I handed the work over to my teachers for a peer review, the front cover got mostly positive feedback. the favourite touch on my page was the fact I had matched the lipstick to the font colours and the text across the center of the page which spelled out 'Scarlett Hudson'. They enjoyed the photoshopping of the top of the head of the photo I took and placing it over the title Anthem. Some of the pointers they gave me to improve on the front cover that stood out was the navy colour I had chosen as it was not very conventional. They suggested to use a lighter blue in order to match the red, black and whites. It also contrasts nicely against the red and can be carried on through the contents page and the double page spread. Another improvement they would like to be added to the page is more plugs around the picture image in order to fill more space and make it look busier thus increasing the attraction of my target audience. They commented that I needed to have another look at the bottom banner as it did not match the rest of the page. The barcode was suggested to be on the other side of the page to fill a bit more of the space and for the plug text to be a bigger size. In retrospect I myself am not happy with the fonts I have chosen for the page as they are unconventional and not very attractive. I hope to change these along with the majority of comments left by my peers and teachers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment